Learn How to setup CloudFlare SSL certificate for free on your wordpress blog without paying any cost.
There are very few Free SSL certificate provider among them, Cloudflare has the easiest way to setup on wordpress powered blogs.
If you’re hearing CloudFlare for the first time, they’re one of biggest Content Delivery Network providers, their free CDN service is being used by millions of wordpress blogs on the internet, now offering free SSL services as well .
Why SSL ?
Google recommends webmasters to move their site from http:// to https:// that will give visitors a secure experience blocking unauthorised access to user data.
You might be aware of Google Chrome showing “Not Secure” on websites that doesn’t have SSL installed.
So if you have SSL added, Google shows “Secure” on its address bar which gives user a good first impression.
Another reason is, having SSL on your blog helps you ranking better on search engine results, though it’s only a very minor , one of 200 factors.
Can i get SSL for Free ?
Yes. The Cheapest SSL from NameCheap costs $8.88 while other domain & hosting providers offers for higher cost. Some hosting companies offers Free SSL on unlimited domains. I’ve listed those, please scroll down to know the sites.
But don’t worry! Cloudflare offers free CDN plan with flexible SSL option that is enough for a website to enable https:// on the site.
How to Set up CloudFlare SSL on WordPress ?
1.Sign up for a new account on Cloudflare here ( login if you already have one )
2. Enter your Domain name , click “Add Site” , on next page Choose “Free Plan” & click NEXT, your DNS records will be shown up & CDN will be enabled for your domain on the next page, don’t change anything just click “ Continue ”
3. Click Next, where you’ll be given two DNS Name servers, Copy both,
4. Now login to your domain registrar, goto settings/domain management option where you can change Name servers, i host my site at bigrock & namecheap-> now Change Name Servers to the one we’ve copied from Cloudflare.
5. Once done, goto Crypto section on MENU on Cloudflare, enable Flexible SSL.
6. Now login to your WordPress dashboard, Install CloudFlare Flexible SSL plugin – Click Here .
After enabling Flexible SSL on cloudflare wait for few minutes and check SSL Checker tool ( shown below ) to know whether the certificate is issued & activated.
I use SSL Labs site to find out the status,
Sometime CloudFlare SSL would result in infinite redirect loop issue, if you haven’t installed Flexible SSL plugin. So don’t forgot to install the plugin.
Check if Cloudflare SSL is activated on your Domain:
1. Visit SSL Checker Tool – Click Here , enter your Domain Name, click ” Check SSL ”
2. If SSL is activated on your domain by Cloudflare, you’ll see something like as shown below, All Green Tick, Server Type: Cloudflare, Certificate Issued by Comodo, The Hostname BloggersCrunch is correctly listed in the certificate.
Make Changes in WordPress Dashboard:
Now, we’ve tested that our Domain name has SSL installed by Cloudflare, we’ve to just make final change in our wordpress dashboard.
1. Visit WordPress Dashboard->Settings->General
2. Make sure to change http:// to https:// on following fields,
WordPress Address ( URL ) : https://www.yourdomain.com
Site Address ( URL ) : https://www.yourdomain.com
Thats how you Install Free SSL on your wordpress blog from Cloudflare.
List of Hostrars Offering Free SSL in Cpanel:
If you feel Cloudflare free SSL installation is hard for you to follow, then here’s list of web hosting companies offering free SSL by default
To enable SSL on the above listed web hosting service, all you need to do is “Add your Domain” , and SSL is enabled by Default.
It’s simple as that.
I enabled SSL on my Blog, Will my Ranking Improve ?
You need to understand, having https won’t boost ranking of your site on SERP, but google acknowledges it as a minor ranking factor among others .
It’s your perfect On-Page, Site Loading Speed, Mobile Responsive, https protocol / SSL combined with relevant backlinks that helps improve your keywords ranking better on search engines.
Hope this tutorial helps you install SSL certificate on your wordpress blog for free using Cloudflare.
If you have any questions or comments on setting this up ? Please post your comments. Glad to help you.